Hemostasis: the body’s natural response to bleeding
Following a dental procedure such as an extraction or periodontal surgery, it is important to control bleeding as quickly as possible. The body’s natural process to prevent, control and stop bleeding is called hemostasis. However, when the body is under stress, a hemostatic agent may be required to help stimulate or accelerate the body’s natural reactions. Some patients may also have medical conditions or take medications that prevent their body’s natural bleeding control mechanisms from functioning optimally. Taking a patient’s complete medical profile before performing any surgical procedure can help plan for hemostatic needs.
When a patient’s natural hemostatic response is insufficient, or as a precautionary measure, a hemostatic agent may be used.
Different Types of Hemostatic Agents on the Market
- Topical hemostats
How hemostatic agents work
These products work in conjunction with the body’s natural hemostasis pathways to create a strong clot, seal the wound and control bleeding by:
Physically blocking the outflow of blood
Accelerating the body’s natural clotting process
Providing a matrix for increased platelet interactions
Choosing a hemostatic agent
According to research, several criteria are used to identify an ideal hemostatic agent1:
- Ease of use/rapid application to wound site
- Ability to reach difficult to access areas
- Cause minimal local tissue disruption/destruction
- Quickly control arterial and/or venous bleeding
- No toxicity or adverse effects
- Ease of removal
1 Achneck HE, Silehi B, Jamiolkowski RM, et al. Annals of Surgery 2010; 251:217-228.
Until recently, many dentists and dental surgeons have relied on various hemostatic gels and foams that meet these criteria. However, several of these products are currently on long-term backorder with no definitive return to market date. Fortunately, an alternative exists: Medicom® SafeGauze® HemoStat™.
About Medicom SafeGauze HemoStat
SafeGauze HemoStat is a topical hemostatic dressing that is indicated for the management of topical wounds and to temporary control of external surface bleeding. Due to its small size, it fits perfectly into single extraction sites. Prepared by chemical treatment of regenerated cellulose, the material dissolves over time and minimizes the risk of infection while promoting healing thanks to its natural antimicrobial properties.
SafeGauze HemoStat benefits Include:
- Made from 100% natural cellulose
- Quickly transforms into a clear gel to fill wound
- Stays securely in place – No suturing required
- Natural antibacterial properties promote healing
- Gradually dissolves into saline and glucose
- Contains no porcine or other animal-based ingredients
Read what industry experts are saying about HemoStat
SafeGauze HemoStat recently won the 2020 Dental Advisor Top Product Award for Best Oral Surgery Hemostatic Dressing.
SafeGauze HemoStat has also been featured in numerous industry publications and expert reviews, including:
- Alison Walker : The Benefits of Hemostatic Gauze
- Ravichandra Juluri, DDS: Why I Use: SafeGauze HemoStat
- Gordon J. Christensen: Clinician’s Report
- Dental Product Shopper Evaluation Details
Watch how HemoStat works
To learn more about other quality Medicom products, please visit the Medicom website.